Journal Paper

Paper Information

Journal: تنفس
Year:2011 | Volume: | Issue:
Start Page: | End Page:

video

sound

Persian Version

View:

12,795

Download:

6,753

Cites:

Information Journal Paper

Title

USE OF GLASGOW COMA SCALE AS AN INDICATOR FOR EARLY TRACHEOSTOMY IN PATIENTS WITH SEVERE HEAD INJURY

Pages

 Start Page 26 | End Page 30

Keywords

GLASGOW COMA SCALE (GCS) 

Abstract

 Background: Early TRACHEOSTOMY can reduce the time required for MECHANICAL VENTILATION, the duration of ICU stay, and treatment expenses. Choosing the optimal time for TRACHEOSTOMY in patients with severe HEAD INJURY is therefore important.The purpose of this study was to find the optimal time for TRACHEOSTOMY according to Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) .Materials and Methods: In this prospective study, patients with severe HEAD INJURY (GCS< 8) admitted to the ICU of Kerman Shahid Bahonar Hospital were evaluated every day according to their GCS, and possible need for TRACHEOSTOMY.Results: Seventy-four patients were enrolled. The GCS of 49 patients on day 5 following ICU admission was < 9. Forty-two patients (85.7%) eventually needed TRACHEOSTOMY, and TRACHEOSTOMY was not required in the remainder (14.3%) . The prevalence of TRACHEOSTOMY in patients with GCS > 9 was 50%, and this difference was statistically significant.Conclusion: The present study showed that GCS of patients with severe HEAD INJURY on day 5 following ICU admission may be used for decision-making regarding the time of TRACHEOSTOMY. TRACHEOSTOMY should be carried out on day 5 following ICU admission if the GCS is  £8, but it can be delayed if the GCS on the 5th day is >9.

Cites

  • No record.
  • References

  • No record.
  • Related Journal Papers

  • No record.
  • Related Seminar Papers

  • No record.
  • Related Plans

  • No record.
  • Recommended Workshops