Paper Information

Title: 

LONG-TERM IMMUNOGENICITY AND EFFICACY OF HEPATITIS B VACCINE IN HEMODIALYSIS PATIENTS

Type: PAPER
Author(s): ROSTAMZADEH Z.*,SEPEHRVAND N.,YAHYAVI R.
 
 *URMIA UNIVERSITY OF MEDICAL SCIENCE
 
Name of Seminar: BIENNIAL CONGRESS ON IMMUNOLOGY, ASTHMA AND ALLERGY
Type of Seminar:  CONGRESS
Sponsor:  IRAN UNIVERSITY OF MEDICAL SCIENCES AND HEALTH SERVICES
Date:  2007Volume 6
 
 
Abstract: 

Introduction: Hepatitis B virus infection has a higher mortality and is more likely to result in a carrier state in uraemic patients. Although the efficacy of hepatitis B vaccines in patients under chronic hemodialysis treatment has been well documented, the persistence of immunity in this population remains largely unknown.
Method: In this study we have followed 141hemodialysis patients up to 3 years after primary hepatitis B vaccination to evaluate the persistence of immunity (as indicated by serum levels of antibody to hepatitis B surface antigen –anti-HBs- higher than or equal to 10 mIU/Mi.
Results:85 (60.28%) patients developed anti-HBs levels above 10 mIU/mI after vaccination; the remaining 56(39.71%) vaccines were considered nonresponders and were given a booster dose that again failed to elicit an immunoresponse. After 3 years of follow-up, 21out of 56 (37.5%) responders had no detectable anti-HBs levels in the serum (antibody loss occurring during 1 year in 4cases within 1 and 2 years in 11, and within 2 and 3 years in 6 other cases.
Conclusions: When compared with the responders that lost their antibodies during the follow-up period, those who remained immunoreactive 3 years after vaccination was initiated were younger and had higher anti-HBs levels at 8 months of follow-up. Two hepatitis B virus infections were detected among nonresponders during the follow-up period. Based on these data, we conclude that patients undergoing chronic hemodialysis therapy not only have lower response rates to hepatitis B vaccination than healthy adults, but also that these are frequently transient

 
Keyword(s): 
 
Yearly Visit 5   tarjomyar
 
Latest on Blog
Enter SID Blog