Click for new scientific resources and news about Corona[COVID-19]

Paper Information

Journal:   JOURNAL OF TRANSPORTATION ENGINEERING   SPRING 2017 , Volume 8 , Number 3 ; Page(s) 423 To 433.
 
Paper: 

VALUATION OF THE EFFECTS OF WALKING IN GROUPS ON SERVICEABILITY OF URBAN SIDEWALKS

 
 
Author(s):  MOHAMMADI MEHDI, SHAFABAKHSH GHOLAMALI*
 
* 
 
Abstract: 

Pedestrians’ walking in groups comparing their walking alone has considerable effects on moving stream. In this study, authors used a new method to investigate the level of service (LOS) of the sidewalks in Iran. According to the conducted field study, the real characteristics of pedestrians were extracted from the recorded movies; then, were simulated in the software. Finally, the data of field study and the results of simulation were used to validate the software. To evaluate the effects of pedestrians’ groups on pedestrians’ spaces in sidewalks, authors considered six different scenarios including 10%, 20%, and 30% of pedestrian groups with two individuals, 10% and 20% of pedestrian groups with three individuals, and composite presence of 25% groups with two individuals and 15% groups with three individuals. To do this, two kinds of sidewalks with 3 and 4.5 meters in width is chosen. According to the results of this study, when the numbers of groups increase, the average of pedestrians’ spaces in sidewalks decreases. For instance, presence of 10% of two individuals’ groups in a sidewalk, which is designed for LOS of C, with three meters in width does not make any change in LOS of sidewalks. However, presence of either 20% and 30% of two individuals’ groups or 10% and 20% of three individuals’ groups decreases LOS from level of C to level of D. Also, the rate of decrease of LOS in wider sidewalks happens slower than that in narrower sidewalks. The results of this study along with available standards and handbooks can be used as appropriate guidelines by city designers and managers to improve design procedures, Increase the satisfaction of the people in a city and save money on construction cost.

 
Keyword(s): SIDEWALK DESIGN, URBAN, SERVICEABILITY, PEDESTRIAN GROUP, MOTION SPACE
 
References: 
  • ندارد
 
  Persian Abstract Yearly Visit 61
 
Latest on Blog
Enter SID Blog