Click for new scientific resources and news about Corona[COVID-19]

Paper Information

Journal:   MODARES CIVIL ENGINEERING JOURNAL   APRIL 2017 , Volume 17 , Number 1 ; Page(s) 79 To 87.
 
Paper: 

EXPERIMENTAL STUDY OF EFFECT OF HYDRAULIC AND GEOMETRIC PROPERTIES OF SIDE WEIR ON LATERAL VARIATION OF BED FORM DIMENSIONS OF MAIN CHANNEL

 
 
Author(s):  HASANZADEH M., AYYOUBZADEH S.A.*, SANEIE M., FARAMARZ M.
 
* WATER STRUCTURES ENGINEERING DEPARTMENT, TARBIAT MODARES UNIVERSITY
 
Abstract: 

Side weir is one of the most important structures in flood control projects. The structure can be designed based on classic design procedure, provided the main channel bed is rigid. However, in the most practical cases, the main channel bed is movable; Consequently the changes in bed can produce wavelike patterns as bed forms. Additional effects of side weir on bed forms may also be produced due to an aggradation of sediment deposits in front of the weir. This causes additional bed resistance and increase in flow depth in comparison with the situation with no structure. Thus, the present research studies the effect of side weir hydraulic and geometric properties -including Froude Numbers, diversion discharge ratios and flow depths- on bed forms and its effect on design conditions. A set of experimental program -with 9 individual tests- was conducted in a flume with dimensions of 0.85 m width, 0.40 m height and 10 m length. The flume is located on a mobile bed, having median sediment particle size of 0.23 mm, running with side weirs with crest lengths of 20, 40 and 60 cm. Furthermore, 3 experiments were conducted without using any weir, as bench mark runs. The sediment bed level at the end of each run was recorded using the automatic bed profiler in a distance of 220 cm of main channel, so that the weir is located in the middle of the reach. These measurements were carried out in a net of points with incremental distance of 5 and 3 cm in longitudinal and transverse directions, respectively. The dimensions of bed forms including wave length and height were then determined using the well-known crest-through method. Dimensional analysis is undertaken for dependent and independent variables involved in the process of the phenomenon including properties of fluid, sediment particles, channel and weir geometry. Non-dimensional parameters are also introduced. Results indicate that the effect of flow depth, discharge, and diversion ratio on bed form dimensions are significant, and increase in these parameters will cause increase in both length and depth of bed forms. In addition, a number of four equations are suggested for the prediction of bed form dimensions in terms of characteristic parameters for both cases with and without using the weir. The parameters of the equations were calibrated using randomly selected 80% of all experimental data and the equations are then verified using the remaining 20%. Verification results revealed that the relation may predict bed form dimensions within the error values of 50 and 30 percent for the cases of using weir or not, respectively. Analyzing these relations showed an important influence of applying side weirs on lateral variation of bed form dimensions in the main channel. Thus, in comparison with the case with no side weir, an increase of up to 70% and 2% of channel width may occur in bed form length and height, respectively, near the side weir.

 
Keyword(s): SIDE WEIR, BED FORM DIMENSIONS, FROUDE NUMBER EFFECT, DIVERSION RATIO
 
 
References: 
  • ندارد
  •  
 
Click to Cite.
APA: Copy

HASANZADEH, M., & AYYOUBZADEH, S., & SANEIE, M., & FARAMARZ, M. (2017). EXPERIMENTAL STUDY OF EFFECT OF HYDRAULIC AND GEOMETRIC PROPERTIES OF SIDE WEIR ON LATERAL VARIATION OF BED FORM DIMENSIONS OF MAIN CHANNEL. MODARES CIVIL ENGINEERING JOURNAL, 17(1 ), 79-87. https://www.sid.ir/en/journal/ViewPaper.aspx?id=570246



Vancouver: Copy

HASANZADEH M., AYYOUBZADEH S.A., SANEIE M., FARAMARZ M.. EXPERIMENTAL STUDY OF EFFECT OF HYDRAULIC AND GEOMETRIC PROPERTIES OF SIDE WEIR ON LATERAL VARIATION OF BED FORM DIMENSIONS OF MAIN CHANNEL. MODARES CIVIL ENGINEERING JOURNAL. 2017 [cited 2021May12];17(1 ):79-87. Available from: https://www.sid.ir/en/journal/ViewPaper.aspx?id=570246



IEEE: Copy

HASANZADEH, M., AYYOUBZADEH, S., SANEIE, M., FARAMARZ, M., 2017. EXPERIMENTAL STUDY OF EFFECT OF HYDRAULIC AND GEOMETRIC PROPERTIES OF SIDE WEIR ON LATERAL VARIATION OF BED FORM DIMENSIONS OF MAIN CHANNEL. MODARES CIVIL ENGINEERING JOURNAL, [online] 17(1 ), pp.79-87. Available: https://www.sid.ir/en/journal/ViewPaper.aspx?id=570246.



 
 
Yearly Visit 41 Persian Abstract
 
Latest on Blog
Enter SID Blog