Paper Information

Journal:   JOURNAL OF MIDWIFERY & REPRODUCTIVE HEALTH   2016 , Volume 4 , Number 3; Page(s) 689 To 695.
 
Paper: 

EVALUATING THE PAP SMEAR REPORTS OF PATHOLOGY LABORATORIES IN AHVAZ, IRAN

 
 
Author(s):  ZARGAR SHOUSHTARI SHIRIN, SARRAFI ALI, MAKVANDI SOMAYEH*
 
* FACULTY OF NURSING AND MIDWIFERY, ISLAMIC AZAD UNIVERSITY, AHVAZ BRANCH, AHVAZ, IRAN
 
Abstract: 

Background & aim: Pap smear is a screening procedure for cervical cancer. The regular screening in women aged 20-65 years has decreased the incidence and mortality rate of cervical cancer up to 90%. This study aimed to investigate the Pap smear reports of pathology laboratories in Ahvaz, Iran.
Methods: In this cross-sectional study, 1, 006 Pap smear reports were collected from pathology laboratories via cluster sampling method. Data was analyzed by a researcher-made questionnaire. In addition, variables such as age, type of infection, grade of inflammation, metaplastic changes, and epithelial cell abnormalities in cervix were studied in this study. Data analysis was performed in SPSS V.16.0 using descriptive analysis, ANOVA, Fisher’s exact, and Chi-square tests.
Results: While no infection was reported in 94.43% (n=950) of cases, the highest incidence rate of infections in the remaining samples (5.56%, n=56) was related to Candida albicans (4.77%, n=48). Various grades of inflammation were reported in 83.69% (n=842) of the samples. Moreover, the highest grade of inflammation in fungal infections was 2+, whereas the grades in Trichomonas and bacterial infections were 1+and 3+, respectively. Cervical dysplasia and metaplasia were reported in 0.29% (n=3) and 1.19% (n=12) of the cases, respectively.
Conclusion: The prevalence of cervical-vaginal infections, cervical metaplasia, and dysplasia were relatively low in Pap smear reports of laboratories in Ahvaz.

 
Keyword(s): INFECTION, INFLAMMATION, METAPLASIA, PAP SMEAR, PREVALENCE
 
References: 
  • ندارد
 
  pdf-File tarjomyar Yearly Visit 75
 
Latest on Blog
Enter SID Blog