Paper Information

Journal:   PAYESH   APRIL 2003 , Volume 2 , Number 2; Page(s) 141 To 148.
 
Paper: 

FIVE- YEAR SURVIVAL IN IRANIAN BREAST CANCER PATIENTS: A PROSPECTIVE STUDY

 
 
Author(s):  VAHDANINIA M.*, HARIR CHI A.M., MONTAZERI A.
 
* Iranian Institute for Health Sciences Research, Tehran, Iran
 
Abstract: 

Objective(s): To examine survival rate in Iranian breast cancer patients.
Material & Methods: One hundred and sixty- seven breast cancer patients diagnosed at 1997 were entered into the study and followed up for five years.
Results: The mean age of patients at diagnosis was 47.2 (SD=13.5) ranging from 24 to 81 years. In all 39 patients were lost in the follow- up period. This led to analysis of data for the 128 remaining patients. Of these at five years 79 patients were alive and 49 patients were dead. Most patients (61%) presented with advanced disease (stage III, n=42 and stage IV, n=36). The remaining 39% had stag I (n=10) or stage II (n=40) breast cancer. Using the life table analysis the overall 5-year survival rate was found to be 62% (SEM=0.04) In addition, after adjustment for age at diagnosis, initial treatment (mastectomy, breast conserving surgery, and neo-adjuvant therapy), and disease stage, using The Cox(s) regression model, it was found that receiving neo-adjuvant therapy as initial treatment was an independent predictor of poorer survival (Hazard ratio= 4.56, 95%CI=2.20 to 9.044, P<0.0001). The other variables (older age and late stage disease) although showing a higher hazard rate were not significant.
Conclusion: The study findings suggest that overall survival rate in Iranian breast cancer patients stands between western and eastern European countries and needs to be improved. It seems that early detection and better management using standard guidelines could contribute considerably to improved survival in women who are experiencing breast cancer.

 
Keyword(s): BREAST CANCER, 5-YEAR SURVIVAL, IRAN, SURVIVAL RATE
 
References: 
  • ندارد
 
  Persian Abstract Yearly Visit 77
 
Latest on Blog
Enter SID Blog