Paper Information

Journal:   RESEARCHER BULLETIN OF MEDICAL SCIENCES (PEJOUHANDEH)   SPRING 2003 , Volume 8 , Number 1 (31); Page(s) 35 To 38.
 
Paper: 

ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE AMONG SHIGELLA SEROTYPES ISOLATED FROM SHIGELLOSIS CASES IN BOOALI HOSPITAL, 1999-2001

 
 
Author(s):  HOSSEINI M.J.*, NABAVI M., NASRI RAZIN B., HOSSEINIDOUST S.R., HEKMAT S.
 
* Deaprment of Infectious disease Baghyatollah University of Medical sciences
 
Abstract: 

Background: Diarrheal diseases are the most important health problems in developing countries. In our country, the shigellosis has been recognized as a common cause of acute diarrheal disease, particularly during summer season. Since the true profile of antibiotic sensitivity is not available, physicians prescribe wide range of antibiotics for shigellosis. This may lead to antibiotic resistance and also impose large expenses on patients and society as well. The present study was conducted to determine the antibiotic resistance among shigella serotypes isolated from shigellosis cases in Booali hospital.
Materials and methods: It was a descriptive study. All cases of shigellosis who were diagnosed according to their clinical picture and culture were included. Having the shigella serotype defined, qualitative (disk perfusion) and quantitative (MIC) antibiotic sensitivity tests were achieved.
Results: Patients age ranged 12 to 89 years 55.9% were males and the remaining 44.1% were females. Of 89 positive cultures, shigella sonnei was revealed in 40.25 were shigella flexenery, 21 were s. dysentery, and 3 were s. boydii. More than 95% of the isolates were sensitive to ciprofloxacin, ceftriaxon and ceftizoxim, 70% to Nalidixic acid and less than 50% to co-trimaxazol, tetracycline, ampicillin and fourazolidon.
Conclusion: Shigellosis is best treated with Nalidixic acid fro mild cases and out patients and fluoroquinolones and third generation of cephalosporines for more acute cases.

 
Keyword(s): ANTIBIOTIC RESISTANCE, SHIGELLA, SEROTYPE
 
References: 
  • ندارد
 
  Persian Abstract Yearly Visit 75
 
Latest on Blog
Enter SID Blog