Click for new scientific resources and news about Corona[COVID-19]

Paper Information

Journal:   BINA   Fall 2002 , Volume 8 , Number 1; Page(s) 61 To 66.
 
Paper: 

SCLERAL BUCKLING SURGERY WITH LASER PHOTOCOAGULATION IN PRIMARY RETINAL DETACHMENT (WITHOUT CRYOPEXY)

 
 
Author(s):  NILI M., LASHEYEI A.R., RASHIDI A.
 
* 
 
Abstract: 

Purpose: To determine the success rate of scleral buckling procedure without cryopexy with intraoperative or postoperative laser photocoagulation in patients with primary retinal detachment.
Patients and methods: In an interventional case series study, 73 patients with primary retinal detachment underwent scleral buckling surgery with argon laser application around the breaks and on the buckle which was delivered by indirect ophthalmoscope intraoperatively in 34% of the cases, or by slitlamp and contact lens technique postoperatively in 66% of the cases.
Results: Fifty four patients were male (74%) and 19 were female (26%), with mean age of 59.1 years (range 21-79 year). Forty seven was phakic (64%), 14 were pseudophakic (19%), and 12 were aphakic (17%). PVR range was from B to C2 (B: 88%, C1: 8%, C2: 4%). Anatomic success rate was 100% intraoperatively, however and within 3 to 8 weeks redetachment occurred in 12.5% of cases; reattachment was accomplished in 7% of cases by SF6 injection and laser reapplication (final success rate 94.5%). The remaining 5.5% cases, led to pars plana vitrectomy, membrane peeling, endolaser application, and silicone oil injection. All cases of reoperation had reattached retina up to the end of the study. Mean follow up time was 58 months.
Conclusion: Considering the proven adverse effects of cryopexy and its role in PVR formation which is the major cause of failure in scleral buckling surgery, laser photocoagulation can be a good substitute to create chorioretinal scar and obtain acceptable results.

 
Keyword(s): SCLERAL BUCKLING SURGERY, LASER PHOTOCOAGULATION, PRIMARY RETINAL DETACHMENT
 
References: 
  • ندارد
 
  Persian Abstract Yearly Visit 67
 
Latest on Blog
Enter SID Blog