Click for new scientific resources and news about Corona[COVID-19]

Paper Information

Journal:   JOURNAL OF ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY   SUMMER 2006 , Volume 8 , Number 2 (29); Page(s) 59 To 67.
 
Paper: 

THE EVALUATION OF HEALTH CONDITIONS OF FOOD SUPPLY AND DISTRIBUTION CENTERS IN BAM AFTER THE EARTHQUAKE

 
 
Author(s):  JAHED KHANIKI GHOLAM REZA, MAHVI A.H.
 
* 
 
Abstract: 

At 5:27 a.m. on Dec. 26, 2003, an earthquake measuring 6.6 on the Richter scale struck the city of Bam in Kerman province. As a result of the quake, the city's buildings and installations were badly damaged and over 30,000 people lost their lives. In such a situation, the production, supply, and distribution of foodstuff is very hard and providing healthful food is difficult for long after the disaster.
This cross-sectional study was conducted in order to learn about the health conditions of the food supply and distribution centers after 9 months past the quake. To this end, a checklist and certain forms were prepared. The checklist included such parameters as the water supply system, sources of water, types of building, wastewater disposal condition, types of floor, air-conditioning and lighting conditions, screens, valid health cards, trash cans and disposal, the condition of water-closets and baths, refrigerators and freezers, cold rooms, and personnel. Using simple random selection techniques, 67 active shops were studied: 17 grocery stores, 13 fast-food places, 11 butcheries, 10 dairy shops, 7 chicken stores, 2 bakeries, 2 restaurants, 2 ice-cream shops, 2 food distribution centers, and 1 confectionary. The results showed that 58.2% of these centers had piped water 7.5% had water tanks, and 34.4% were without a water system. Moreover, 52.2% of food supply centers were made of bricks, 34.3% were temporary conex containers, and 13.4% were tents. Furthermore, 44.8% of these places discharged their wastewater into ground wells and the remaining 55.2% did not discharge their wastewater hygienically. The conditions of solid waste collection and disposal, water-closets and baths, freezers, and the personnel needed modification and improvement.

 
Keyword(s): FOOD SUPPLY CENTERS, NVIRONMENTAL HEALTH, FOOD SAFETY, EARTHQUAKE, CITY OF BAM
 
References: 
  • ندارد
 
  Persian Abstract Yearly Visit 59
 
Latest on Blog
Enter SID Blog